Many fires are caused by malfunctions in the wiring of a home or business. Here are five warning signs of electrical fire that indicate you should have your wiring examined.
When you turn on your dishwasher or microwave, do you consistently notice any of the lights in your house begin to flicker or steadily dim? When those appliances turn off, do you see the lights brighten or get steady once again? This fluctuation may mean there is a problem with the wiring of your lights, but it most likely means your major appliances are drawing too much power from the circuits to which they’re attached. You may need to have a professional switch your circuits or upgrade your panel to avoid further complications.
What does an electrical fire smell like? We’re not talking about your smelly dog or the smell of burnt crumbs that often comes from your toaster if it never gets cleaned. Specifically, the smells you should be wary of are burning smells in your house, like roasting plastic, arising from your outlets and fixtures. They are not supposed to do this, so any consistent odor like this is a sure sign you should have an inspection done on your wiring. If you smell occasional burning in your home and struggle to identify the source, it may be your wiring.
Hot to the Touch
While some of our appliances will naturally put off heat, our wall outlets and light switches should not be hot when we touch them. While they may be slightly warm, due to electrical current, they should never be uncomfortable to touch. This is a likely sign that something is seriously wrong, especially if you notice any scorch marks around the plug. Turn off and unplug your appliance and call a professional to come to take a look.
Old appliances can make buzzing noises. Often this means they’re working hard or their life is coming close to its end. If you start hearing electric buzzing sounds from your outlets, however, or from your light bulbs as you switch them on, this is a more severe problem. Pay close attention to your house when all is supposed to be quiet and if you’re concerned occasionally put your ear close to your power outlets to inspect them.
You may notice that you trip the breaker in your house. Maybe when your dishwasher is turned on, you can’t turn on your microwave or plug your kettle into certain outlets. You have an issue with overpowering your circuits which could cause more significant damage in your house. If you notice a tripping breaker with a low-level use of power, this likely means there is a wiring problem that needs to get dealt with. Either way, there is too much power flowing somewhere which is a frequent cause of fires in the home. Sometimes a panel upgrade or circuit breaker upgrade is the safest option
If you’re concerned that your home is showing any of these signs of an electrical fire, call Rowell’s Services at 934-4145. We can come inspect your home, and perform any of your home’s electrical wants or needs.
Want to save more money?
Get access to valuable
coupons right now!
*We respect your privacy. Your email is safe with us.
See what our community is saying
They really care about their team and their customers. Rowell’s services is unique from other companies in that they show the highest level of integrity even when no one is looking. I would highly recommend them to you.
Always happy with the service we get from Rowells. You guys make everything so easy, and all of your employees are well informed, communicate well, and are professional & friendly. Thanks so much!
I will be calling Rowell’s Sewer and Drain again if I ever need their services. They were professional, kind, and efficient from start to finish. They were able to help us the same day, AND give us a quote for their services over the phone (no other place I called…